- CKD non-dialysis
- 1 pound frozen hash brown potatoes
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 ounces cooked lean ham
- 2 tablespoons red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons green bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons onion
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon 1% low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
- Soak hash brown potatoes in a large bowl of water for 4 hours. Drain, rinse and squeeze out excess water. (Skip this step if low potassium is not needed.)
- Preheat the oven to 375° F. Coat 8 muffin tin holes with cooking spray.
- Using a 1/3 cup measure, place hash browns in muffin cups and press potato in the bottom and up the sides of each muffin cup. Spray the hash browns with cooking spray. Place in the oven and cook for 15 minutes and remove from oven. Reduce oven temperature to 350° F.
- Finely chop the ham, peppers and onion. Beat the eggs and milk together in a medium bowl; season with black pepper. Add the ham, peppers, onion and cheese to egg mixture and combine.
- Press partially baked hash browns down firmly with a spoon so that potatoes cover the bottom and sides of each muffin hole. Pour 1/4-cup egg mixture into the center of each muffin hole.
- Return the pan to the oven and cook until potatoes are crisp and golden and the egg mixture is set, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove muffin pan from the oven and let sit about 5 minutes before serving.